Thursday, May 2, 2013

Bride of the Water God by Yun Mi-kyung


I've read Bride of the Water God before and this semester I reread it for manga week. In class we were talking about manga and anime. One of my favorites to read was Bride of the Water God. I was surprised to find out that there were other types of asian graphic novels. During manga week, a group of students and I presented about Korean manhwa. While researching for the presentation, I fond out that Bride of the Water God wasn't manga, but in fact Korean manhwa. Learning something new every day. It was a weird feeling to find out 5 years later that it was Korean work and it is called manhwa and not manga. Both similar but different in some ways.

I love this series because of the folk tale that it includes. In Bride of the Water God, "The story of Habaek is one of the oldest myths in Korea and tells of the god of the great Yalu River." The main female character, Soah, was set up to marry someone in the village that she lived in but every year the village picks out the prettiest girl to sacrifice to the Water God, Habaek. Unfortunately, she was the one that was chosen to be sacrificed. The Water God ends up saving her. This manhwa entertains as well as educated others about the tall-tale of the Water God Habaek. Stories like these should always be published to keep the tales going. Reading about other cultures' folk tales are always interesting and fun.

Overall, it's a really nice love fantasy story. Personally, many of the novels and books I read are science fiction/ fantasy/ horror/ mystery genres. It's what I enjoy and the art in this manga is so detailed and beautiful. The line work is amazing and carries your eye around the page. So far, I only have the first four of this series, but I plan to buy more. Definitely going to keep reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment